Despite truce offer, Saudi-led coalition vows to hit HouthisArchive
RIYADH: Saudi-led forces said on Thursday they would respond harshly against Yemen’s Houthi rebels following attacks on Saudi citizens in border areas, hours after the kingdom offered a five-day humanitarian truce if the militia stopped fighting.
Brigadier General Ahmed Asseri, spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition, said the Houthis had changed the equation by targeting Saudi cities in recent days, and vowed that the coalition would go after leaders of the rebel group.
“The Houthis are now targeting the borders of the kingdom and the situation is that we will defend our citizens,” Brig Gen Asseri said, adding that 15 people were wounded in Houthi shelling on the city of Najran on Thursday evening.
Also read: Houthi shells kill five in Saudi border town
“Coalition forces will deliver a harsh response starting this moment, so that those who carried out this operation will pay the price,” he said earlier on Saudi state television.
He said Saudi-led forces would keep all options open, but declined to say if a ground offensive was being planned.
The remarks came hours after Saudi Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir announced at a joint news conference with US Secretary of State John Kerry that the kingdom was ready to offer a five-day humanitarian ceasefire if the Houthis honoured the truce.
“The pause will affect all of Yemen for a period of five days,” the Saudi minister said.
“The actual date will be announced shortly as well as the requirements. This is all based on the Houthis complying with the ceasefire.”
International concern about Yemen’s dire humanitarian situation has grown as fighting, air strikes and an arms embargo have caused civilian deaths, internal displacement, destruction of infrastructure and shortages of food, medicine and fuel.
The offer of a truce came days after the Houthis had shelled Saudi border towns, prompting renewed coalition air strikes in Yemen, and as the rebels advanced into a last central area of Aden, a city whose fate is seen as pivotal to Yemen’s civil war.
Mr Kerry welcomed the Saudi truce offer and said neither Riyadh nor Washington was talking about sending ground troops to Yemen.
Brig Gen Asseri had said late on Wednesday that all options were open, including ground operations, to stop attacks on Saudi towns.
Published in Dawn, May 8th, 2015
On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play