Most flooding-hit people moved to safety, claims CM aideArchive
HYDERABAD: Sindh chief minister’s special assistant for relief and rehabilitation Ali Hassan Hingorjo on Friday claimed that 80 per cent people hit or threatened by flooding in the katcha areas of various districts, including Ghotki and Kandhkot- Kashmore, had been shifted to safe places.
Also in view of flood threat amid peak flow in the Indus at Guddu and Sukkur barrages, the displaced people were being provided with relief goods and all basic facilities, he told journalists at a briefing held in the annexe of the local Circuit House.
He said that the flood-water discharge at Guddu upstream had increased to around 600,000 cusecs and was likely to increase to 700,000 cusecs in the coming days. Kotri barrage downstream could also witness a discharge of 500,000 cusecs, he added.
He said that the entire government machinery had been mobilised to deal with any emergency situation.
Mr Hingorjo claimed that tents, food, water, medicines and all other essential relief goods had been placed at the disposal of deputy commissioners for the displaced people of their respective areas.
He said torrential rains caused no destruction in Hyderabad though they did cause flooding. He claimed that 90 per cent of rainwater had already been drained in the city while work was under way to clear the low-lying areas.
He said the emergency work for the strengthening of various dykes across Sindh had been under way for about a week and would be completed soon. He said the peak flood would hopefully pass through the Indus without causing a big loss of life or property in Sindh.
Pakistan Peoples Party Hyderabad leaders Zahid Bhurgari, Amanullah Siyal and Jabbar Khan were present.
Published in Dawn, August 1st, 2015
On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play