Pakistan News

JIT to probe police officer’s ‘suicide’

JIT to probe police officer’s ‘suicide’

SAHIWAL: On the order of Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif, a joint investigation team has been formed to probe circumstances which led to ‘suicide’ of a police officer, DSP Ghulam Muhammad Shaheen.

The JIT is headed by Commissioner Azmat Mahmood, while District Police Officer Baqir Raza and district headquarters hospital Medical Superintendent Sheikh Manzoor Ahmad are the members.

The family members of the deceased DSP have welcomed the formation of JIT hoping it would reveal the factors and circumstances that forced Shaheen to commit suicide.

Shaheen, 42, was working as security in-charge at the under-construction 1,320MW Qadirabad coal-run power plant when he shot self at his duty place on Monday night, using gun of a guard, Shahjahan.

According to local police sources, Shaheen had committed suicide because of domestic problems.

However, his brother-in-law Javaid Mahmood, who claimed to be an eyewitness, denied the police claim.

“He married Sumera Saeed in 2001 and was living happily with her and their three sons,” Mahmood claimed.

Dawn learnt the deceased, belonging to Chak 475-EB, Burewala, had been living with his wife and sons -- Saimur Rehman, 12, Muhammad Moeez, 9, and Muhammad Arsal, 7, in a rented house at Bosan Road, Multan.

“He was upset for the last few days and I had gone to him at Qadiarabad. Unfortunately I was just 50 steps away when Shaheen shot himself with his guard’s gun during a walk,” Mahmood told Dawn.

He claimed Mr Shaheen mostly complained about two things during his last days.

“First; he had applied for a leave but was denied the same by the department. Second, which he personally informed me, was that he was being threatened and blackmailed by two of his subordinates through some voice recordings,” he added.

Shaheen’s friend Gulam Mustafa of Qutabpur told Dawn: “He had shifted his family to Multan for children’s education and (had been) living in a rented house for last 10 years.”

He was inducted into police as an inspector in 1998, was promoted as DSP two months back and got posted at Sahiwal. Earlier, he was posted as inspector at Civil Lines police station, Multan.

The deceased was buried in his ancestral village on Tuesday evening.

SUSPENDED: DPO Baqir Raza suspended from service Farid Town station house officer Allah Ditta and muharrar Mushtaq for showing negligence in detaining of ASI Ayub Khan Baloch, who committed suicide in the police station on Monday night.

The ASI was arrested by the Anti-Corruption Establishment for taking bribe from a female complainant. He was first kept in the lockup of Farid Town police station but later his colleagues allegedly allowed him to stay in a room there.

Published in Dawn, August 27th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Similar News
Recent News
Back to top