Pakistan News

Israeli police enter Al Aqsa mosque compound

Israeli police enter Al Aqsa mosque compound

JERUSALEM: Israeli police clashed with Palestinian protesters on Tuesday in a third straight day of unrest at Jerusalem’s most sensitive holy site.

Police spokeswoman Luba Samri said police entered the Al Aqsa mosque compound early in the morning to disperse a group of protesters who had holed up inside the mosque overnight.

The protesters threw rocks, fireworks, concrete blocks and a firebomb at the officers, she said, adding that two Palestinians were arrested and five police officers were slightly injured in the violence.

A firebomb thrown at police from within the mosque ignited a rug and planks of wood stockpiled by the protesters, Samri added. Mosque officials later extinguished the fire, she said.

Police released photos showing piles of charred rubble outside the mosque. Police later managed to restore calm and open the site for visitors, Samri said, but a group of protesters remained inside the mosque.

Azzam Khatib, the director of the Waqf — the Islamic religious authority that oversees the compound — said Israeli police entered deep inside the mosque in what he called “a very dangerous development”.

Police denied the allegation and said officers only removed the barricade that protesters had set up at the entrance. The director of Al Aqsa Mosque, Omar Kiswani, blamed Israeli police for the tensions and said the gate used for visitors to access the site should be shut.

He did not comment on the protesters’ alleged use of firebombs from within the sacred place, the third holiest site in Islam. Police have said that firecrackers and firebombs thrown from within the mosque have caused fires.

Muslim authorities at the site have blamed damage on sparks from police sound grenades. Nearby, more Palestinian protesters gathered and police used tear gas and stun grenades to disperse them.

Later, police said a Palestinian attacked two young Jews in Jerusalem’s Old City, then ran away. The attack was caught on security camera and he was later arrested, police said.

The compound often becomes the center of tensions on major Jewish holidays such as Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year, which ends on Tuesday night. The site is so holy for Jews that they traditionally have refrained from praying on the hilltop, congregating instead at the adjacent Western Wall.

Israel’s chief rabbis, as well as the rabbi of the Western Wall, have issued directives urging people not to ascend the Temple Mount, arguing that Jews could inadvertently enter the holiest area of the once-standing temple, where it was forbidden to tread.

But there is a movement advocating the rights for Jews to pray at the hilltop. Some try and get around the ban on prayers by secretly mumbling the words.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is set to convene an emergency meeting on Tuesday evening after the holiday ends to discuss ways to deal with the violence at the site, as well a recent increase in Palestinian rock throwing attacks.

One such attack claimed the life of an Israeli man on Monday. Saeb Erekat, a senior Palestinian official, blamed Israel for the unrest, claiming that Netanyahu “is trying to push us to the cycle of violence, extremism, bloodshed and chaos, taking advantage of preoccupation of the world with other issues”.

Published in Dawn, September 16th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Similar News
Recent News
Back to top