Imran Farooq case remains shrouded in mysteryArchive
KARACHI: Despite an exchange of vital information between the United Kingdom and Pakistan and the recent arrest of one of the two suspects in Chaman in connection with the Dr Imran Farooq murder investigation, the identity of real perpetrators, including the mastermind and facilitators, remains shrouded in mystery five years after the gruesome killing in London.
Self-exiled Muttahida Qaumi Movement leader Dr Farooq, 50, was stabbed to death near his London home on Sept 16, 2010.
On the fifth anniversary of the murder, the London Metropolitan Police posted a detailed statement on their website stating that the murder investigations were still going on.
“It is thought Dr Farooq’s murder would have required careful planning and help from other people, some of whom may have provided assistance or information unwittingly,” it said.
While Pakistan has three men — Mohsin Ali Syed, Khalid Shamim and Moazzam Ali Khan — in its custody for their alleged role in the MQM leader’s murder, the statement remained silent about what cooperation the UK investigators were getting from their Pakistani counterparts or about the findings of their investigations.
The statement did not mention the recent visits by a team of British investigators to Pakistan to grill the suspects being held in this country.
About the cooperation between the two countries, the statement said: “Officers have been in regular contact with the Pakistani authorities to gather evidence that could assist in bringing to justice the killers of Dr Imran Farooq.”
It named only Mohsin Ali Syed and Mohammad Kashif Khan Kamran as wanted men in connection with the murder as they were in the UK when Dr Farooq was murdered.
It was widely reported that the duo had been taken into custody by Pakistani intelligence agents the moment they landed at Karachi airport days after the murder. However, Mohsin Ali Syed was officially shown as arrested in Chaman on June 18 this year.
The statement said that detectives from the Met Police Counter-Terrorism Command (SO15) to date had “spoken to 4,555 people, reviewed 7,697 documents, followed up 2,423 lines of inquiry and seized 4,325 exhibits”.
Without identifying the individuals, it said that three men previously arrested in connection with the murder and conspiracy to murder had all been released without charges.
The arrests were made on Dec 9, 2010, June 24, 2013 and Aug 27, 2014. The first man was released without charge in March 2012, the second in October 2014 and the third in May this year.
Published in Dawn, September 17th, 2015
On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play