Pakistan News

Indian official summoned over LoC shelling

Indian official summoned over LoC shelling

ISLAMABAD: The Foreign Office summoned an Indian diplomat on Wednesday to lodge protest over the death of a Pakistani soldier in a skirmish on the Line of Control (LoC) in Kashmir.

The diplomat was summoned as Indian troops committed ceasefire violations across the LoC for a third day. Two civilians were injured on Wednesday, while the soldier had been killed on Tuesday. No casualties were reported in ceasefire violation by Indians on Monday.

“The Indian deputy high commissioner was summoned to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs by the director general (South Asia & Saarc) and a protest was lodged over the latest unprovoked ceasefire violations by India at the LoC,” a statement issued by the ministry said.




The latest flare-up started two days after the chiefs of Pakistan Rangers and Indian Border Security Force decided in their meeting in Delhi to restore calm on the Working Boundary.

The soldier was the 27th Pakistani killed in over 200 ceasefire violations by India along the LoC and the Working Boundary.

“While condemning both the incidents, the government of Pakistan expressed its deep concern over the continuous unprovoked ceasefire violations by the Indian side at the LoC and targeting of the civilian areas,” the statement said. “The Indian government was urged to stop forthwith the ceasefire violations and observe the 2003 Ceasefire Arrangement for restoration of peace and tranquillity at the LoC and the Working Boundary,” it added.

Our Staff Correspondent adds from Muzaffarabad: A 10-year-old boy and Ghulam Nabi, 40, were injured in Azad Jammu and Kashmir, as troops exchanged heavy fire across the LoC.

They incident took place in Battal sector of the Poonch district, a local official told Dawn.

He said the shelling damaged nine houses, besides killing two goats and a buffalo.

“They (Indians) started shelling at about 5.45am, using small and big weapons. It continued until 11am,” he said, adding Pakistani troops responded in a befitting manner.

Poonch Deputy Commissioner Chaudhry Tariq said that educational institutions in vulnerable areas along the LoC had been closed for the safety of students.

“The schools will open once the situation turns normal,” he said.

Sepoy Shams, 20, had been killed in Indian shelling on Tuesday in the same sector.

Published in Dawn, September 17th, 2015

On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play

Similar News
Recent News
Back to top