Dry-core drilling at Moenjodaro resumesArchive
LARKANA: The dry-core drilling at Moenjodaro, which started more than a week ago only to be halted after a few days, resumed on Monday after test drilling at DK-B area in the southern part of the archaeological site.
The drilling had to be halted after it was found that the bits and barrel brought by the contractor to drill were not working as per requirements of experts.
The process, mandatory for determining demarcation of the actual area of Moenjodaro in line with Unesco’s demand, was finally inaugurated by Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari on April 5, 2014.
The world body had been demanding it since 2006. Since its eventual start, the work on the Rs8.7 million project has been inching ahead with fits and starts.
Mohammad Naeem, a geologist working for the contractor tasked with the drilling, told Dawn that during the test drilling they had found some pieces of pottery at 20 metres depth.
“We have to go further down to 40 metres under the project to collect material, which will be anlysed geologically, archaeologically and culturally. It will take about three months to finish the job and then a team of experts headed by Dr Sarfraz Solangi, a geologist from the University of Sindh, and others will begin work on a joint study of the findings along with archeologists,” he said.
A team of experts was stationed at the site to watch and examine day to day progress.
Sources in culture department said the samples obtained in test drilling had been kept in conservation section for initial analysis at Moenjodaro laboratory.
Published in Dawn, October 21st, 2015
On a mobile phone? Get the Dawn Mobile App: Apple Store | Google Play