Pakistan News

Enraged mob ransacks hospital after ‘baby change’

Enraged mob ransacks hospital after ‘baby change’

HYDERABAD: An enraged mob went on the rampage at Hilal-i-Ahmer hospital in Latifabad No.6 on Thursday, accusing the paramedics of replacing a baby boy with a baby girl.

The baby boy of Saima, wife of Qazi Aqeel, was admitted to hospital for the treatment of a chest problem on Dec 7 and was discharged at 9pm on Wednesday. The parents took the baby home but returned after a couple of hours and complained to the staff that it was not their baby.

Hilal-i-Ahmer medical superintendent Dr Qamar Shahbaz told Dawn that the baby was referred there from Wapda hospital in Hussainabad by Dr Nuzhat Parveen and it had been under her care for around three days.

He said the baby’s parents and relatives flared up at the change of the baby and went on the rampage. He had checked the record of the nursery but found no proof of any baby having gone missing or being stolen, he said.

Mr Shahbaz admitted that the parents had a baby boy at the time of admission. The ward boy, Saim, had handed them their baby, they recognised it and took it away but now they did not admit it, he said.

He expressed surprise as to how it was possible the parents failed to recognise their own baby at the time of discharge.

Meanwhile, police reached the hospital and detained ward boy Saim, dispenser Kareem and a midwife for interrogation.

Man found hanging from ceiling fan

A man was found hanging from a ceiling fan at his house in Pakha Pir Chari within the jurisdiction of the City police station on Thursday in an apparent case of suicide but his wife insisted it was a premeditated murder, police said.

SHO Salman Farooqui said that 35-year-old Akbar Rathore appeared to have tied himself to a ceiling fan with a rope to commit suicide.

The body was shifted to Liaquat University Hospital, Hyderabad, and handed over to heirs after completion of medico-legal formalities, police said.

But Rathore’s wife Farhana accused her five brothers-in-law of murdering her husband over a dispute regarding a property worth around Rs70 million.

She told the police that he had developed differences with his brothers and asked her to stay at her parents’ home in Tando Allahyar for some time till the tension with the brothers subsided.

Published in Dawn, December 11th, 2015

Similar News
Recent News
Back to top