Paris attacks suspect charged in Belgium, fights extraditionArchive
BRUSSELS: Salah Abdeslam, the prime surviving suspect in November’s Paris attacks, answered questions from Belgian investigators on Saturday a day after his arrest but will fight extradition to France, his lawyer said.
Belgian prosecutors said Abdeslam and a second man arrested with him on Friday had been charged with “participation in terrorist murder”.
“He is cooperating with Belgian justice,” his lawyer Sven Mary told reporters outside the judicial police headquarters, adding that Abdeslam, bedridden after being shot in the leg during his capture, admitted being in Paris on Nov 13.
His elder brother was among the suicide bombers involved in gun and bomb attacks that night that killed 130 people.
Mary added that the 26-year-old French national, who was born and raised in Brussels in a Moroccan immigrant family, would refuse the extradition demanded by French President Francois Hollande, who was in Brussels during Friday’s drama.
Published in Dawn, March 20th, 2016