Pakistan News

Two senior IS leaders killed: US

Two senior IS leaders killed: US

WASHINGTON: US forces killed the militant Islamic State (IS) group’s second-in-command this week, dealing a blow to the extremists’ ability to conduct operations in Iraq, Syria and abroad, Pentagon chief Ashton Carter said on Friday.

“We are systematically eliminating ISIL’s [IS’s] cabinet,” Carter told reporters, referring also to the killing early in the month of Omar al-Shishani, the man known as “Omar the Chechen”, who was effectively IS’s defence minister.

The latest killing “will hamper the ability for them to conduct operations inside and outside of Iraq and Syria”, Carter said of Abd ar-Rahman Mustafa al-Qaduli, referring to him as Haji Imam.




He said al-Qaduli served as the group’s finance minister and had been behind some foreign plots.

“The momentum of this campaign is now clearly on our side,” the defence secretary said, adding that “we’re broadening both the weight and the nature of our attacks on” IS.

He declined to say whether al-Qaduli had been killed by a drone strike or in a bombing raid involving manned aircraft; nor would he specify whether the attack occurred in Syria or Iraq, though he said that any action in Iraq would only have been taken with Iraqi government approval.

The US Justice Department had offered a bounty of up to $7 million for information leading to al-Qaduli.

“A few months ago when I said we were going to go after ISIL’s [IS’s] financial infrastructure, we started with storage sites, and now we’ve taken out the leader who oversees their finances, hurting their ability to pay and hire recruits,” Carter said.

When he was asked whether al-Qaduli could have had a link to the November terror attacks in Paris or to this week’s bombings in Belgium, Carter said he could not confirm a specific link to the Brussels attacks.

But whether IS militants in Iraq and Syria like al-Qaduli had specifically directed or simply inspired such attacks, the US-led forces would do their best to eliminate them, he said.

“Our campaign plan is first and foremost to collapse ISIL’s [IS’s] parent tumour in Iraq and Syria, focusing on the power centres in Raqqa and Mosul,” he said.

Carter said local forces supported by the US-led coalition had “severed the main artery between Syria and northern Iraq”, making it “much harder for ISIL’s leaders and forces to travel between Raqqa and Mosul”. But to a reporter’s question about whether the US-led forces had turned a corner in their fight against IS, Carter and the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Joseph Dunford, struck a measured tone.

“While ISIL [IS] has not been able to seize ground in the past several months, that hasn’t precluded them from conducting terrorist attacks or operations more than the conventional operations,” Dunford said. “I think the momentum is in our favour.”

But, he added, “By no means would I say we’re about to break the back of ISIL or that the fight is over.”

Al-Qaduli was born in Mosul, according to Iraqi security sources. He was in Afghanistan in the late 1990s. He joined Al Qaeda in 2004, and became a deputy to the feared Al Qaeda chief in Iraq, Abu Mussab al-Zarqawi, who was killed in 2006 by an American drone strike.

Published in Dawn, March 26th, 2016

Similar News
Recent News
Back to top