Shops damaged by fire in Aabpara MarketArchive
ISLAMABAD: Two shops were damaged after a fire erupted at Aabpara Market, police said on Friday.
Two individuals, one of whom owned the block that housed the shops, were trapped in the building, and were rescued by police and rescue workers, they said.
The fire broke out at a tailoring shop, Erum Tailor, early in the morning on the first day of Eid. Police said the fire spread quickly, and the police were informed of the incident by the area’s residents.
The fire spread to the adjacent shop, where foam, cotton and other materials were present. Police said the Aabpara trader’s union was also informed and an office bearer also reached the site of the fire.
The shops’ locks were broken so they could be entered, the police said. They were also informed that two individuals were living in a room located on the first floor of the block and were trapped there.
Rescue workers found the individuals while they were semiconscious, and they were shifted to a hospital for medical treatment, where they were stated to be in stable condition.
The police said the fire broke out due to a short circuit in the tailoring shop, and spread quickly due to the false ceiling.
The shop was gutted, while materials in the adjacent shop were damaged.
Published in Dawn, July 9th, 2016