Govt finally releases cash award for cueist Hamza Akbar’s Asian title winArchive
KARACHI: Justice delayed is justice denied. According to the Pakistan Billiards and Snooker Federation (PBSF), the government has finally released the final tranche of Rs1.5 million to cueist Hamza Akbar that was long overdue.
It is pertinent to mention that the Pakistan prodigy scaled new heights when he carved out a magnificent 7-6 frames victory over Indian sensation Pankaj Advani in the final to win the Asian snooker title at Kuala Lumpur on March 30, 2015.
By virtue of becoming the Asian champion, Hamza became the first cueist of the country to qualify for playing the pro-circuit for two-years in England.
The Ministry of Inter-provincial Coordination (IPC) had announced a cash award of Rs 2.5 million for the cueist for winning laurels to the nation.
“I have received a cheque of Rs 1 million from the PBSF who have deducted an amount of Rs 0.5 million that I took as loan from them,” Hamza told Dawn.
Giving the break-up he said he’d received Rs0.4 million from the government earlier in three installments – Rs250,000, Rs100,000 and Rs50, 000 — and the total comes to Rs1.9 million.
The cueist added that he is not sure whether he will get the remaining Rs 0.6 million or not.
A native of Faisalabad, Hamza has returned home as his Schengen visa has expired, “I have applied for its renewal and hope to get it soon,” he added.
He said he had received an email from the British home department that his application for visa was under process and will be through soon.
The former national champion added that he has booked his seat on Jan 19 for London where the prestigious China Open starts from Jan 24.
He said due to expiry of visa he had missed two competitions that will affect his ranking which may go down from 73.
Hamza’s pro circuit is due to expire in May next year.
Published in Dawn December 15th, 2016