No further action against Smith, Kohli: ICCArchive
NEW DELHI: The International Cricket Council (ICC) has concluded that it will be taking no further action against either Virat Kohli or Steve Smith in the DRS row.
Following India’s 75-run win in Bangalore on Tuesday to win the second Test and level the Border-Gavaskar Trophy 1-1, Kohli had accused the touring Australians of repeatedly looking towards the dressing room for assistance in whether or to pursue the DRS for reviews, which as per the rules of the sport is not allowed.
The ICC has confirmed in a media release that no charges have been laid against any player under the ICC Code of Conduct following the second Test match between India and Australia in Bengaluru.
“Specifically in relation to Steve Smith and Virat Kohli, the ICC has considered both incidents in the context of this match and concluded it will be taking no further action against either player,” read the statement.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: “We have just witnessed a magnificent game of Test cricket where players from both teams gave their all and emotions were running high during and after the match.
“We would encourage both teams to focus their energies on the third Test in Ranchi next week. Ahead of that, the match referee will bring both captains together to remind them of their responsibilities to the game.”
Earlier in the day, hours after the Cricket Australia (CA) CEO James Sutherland termed as “outrageous” Kohli’s suggestion that Australian players, including skipper Smith, had gone against the rules of the sport when using the controversial Decision Review System (DRS) during the recent Bangalore Test, the BCCI has come to the defence of India’s captain.
In a press release on Wednesday, the BCCI said that it “steadfastly stands” with Kohli and the Indian cricket team.
Published in Dawn, March 9th, 2017