Story Times: Cook-it-yourself : Chocolate mug cakeMagazines
Mug cakes are very easy to whip up and make in the microwave, without troubling mummy or the need to wait for hours for a regular cake to bake in the oven. This week we have a super easy chocolate mug cake that took me five minutes to mix and just two minutes to cook in the microwave – perfect for midnight carvings!
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
• 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
• 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 tablespoons milk
• 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
• Confectioners’ or granulated sugar, for garnish
• Chocolate syrup for garnishing
• Whisk together egg, sugar, cocoa powder, butter, milk, vegetable oil and vanilla extract in a bowl until smooth. Mix well with a fork.
• Place flour in a bowl or measuring cup and stir baking powder into it. Pour flour mixture over the batter and mix with a spoon or fork until there are no lumps.
• Pour the batter in a large microwave-proof mug or two teacups as I did because I didn’t have a large mug. Gently tap the cups on a work surface to eliminate air bubbles.
• Microwave the cup together or separately on high for 2 minutes, until risen and firm.
• Lightly dust each serving with confectioners’ sugar and chocolate syrup – and your delicious chocolate mug cake is ready!
Note: You can add chopped nuts or chocolate chips too and topping or any flavour, even ice-cream!
Published in Dawn, Young World, October 8th, 2016