Sindh PA deplores action against Bol groupPakistan
KARACHI: The Sindh Assembly has called upon the federal government to stop its “anti-business and anti-investment policies” in Karachi and called for investigations and actions against those who have resorted to, what it termed, illegal action against the Bol Media Group.
The demand was made in a resolution jointly tabled by the treasury and opposition benches on Friday. The resolution, tabled by Senior Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Nisar Ahmad Khuhro and Syed Faisal Sabzwari from the opposition, was adopted unanimously.
Earlier Khwaja Izhar-ul-Hasan, Leader of the Opposition, rising on a point of order drew attention of Speaker Agha Siraj Durrani to a “forcible closure” of the Bol Media Group by the federal government. The move had rendered 2,200 workers jobless, he added.
He said that last week they had tried to table the resolution on the subject but it was not allowed on the ground that the matter was sub judice. “But the resolution which we want to table had been restricted to the BMG only and as there was no case against it the matter was not sub judice.”
Before tabling the resolution Senior Minister Khuhro said that as there was a total consensus on the resolution, there was no need to make lengthy speeches.
The resolution expressed concern over the manner in which the Bol Media Group had been shut down by the federal government.
“The Sindh Assembly see the stifling of the Bol Media Group as an attack on freedom of expression and independent media, which stands in violation of Pakistan’s constitution.
“The interior ministry should immediately grant security clearance to the Bol Media Group and allow Bol News and Bol Entertainment to start transmissions and the decision to suspend their licences be revoked.”
Earlier, the house saw a walkout by lawmakers of PML-F and PML-N when Speaker Durrani , instead of giving the floor to Shahryar Mahar of PML-F to take up his call-attention notice, moved on giving floor to Muhammad Hussain Khan of MQM to take up his privilege motion saying that the half an hour allocated as per rules for the call attention notices was over.
However, Leader of Opposition Khwaja Izhar-ul-Hasan, Sindh minister Dr Sikander Mandhro and MQM Parliamentary Party leader Syed Sardar Ahmad brought them back. Responding to the call attention notice of Sorath Thebo of PML-N, Senior Minister Khuhro informed the house that the Sindh government had not purchased any new helicopter and efforts were being made to utilise the one purchased during the Jam Sadiq Ali government in 1991-92 which has outlived its life.
Published in Dawn, February 27th, 2016